The Officials Assignment and Promotion Committee (OAP) is making changes to the process in which International and ISU candidates are selected for promotion. The process will be status quo for the 2018-2019 season. Starting in the 2019-2020 season there will no longer be an application process for ISU and International promotions.The OAP will move to a selection-based approach.
The reasoning behind this is three-fold; allowing better management of activity requirements; selections based on skill set; transparency amongst our officials setting realistic expectations for advancement. As such, the new process is:
- in February of each calendar year candidates will be selected by the OAP for appointment to International and ISU designation
- candidates will then follow the typical exam process and have their exam at Canadians in January of the next year
- candidates then attend Frankfurt a year after they have been selected
For Example: February 2019 Joe Smith is selected for an International promotion, January 2020 Joe completes the exam process at Canadians, July 2020 Joe attends Frankfurt (provided successful completion of the exam process at Canadians).
The OAP and National Service Centre staff have the authority to change the timelines at any given point, as well as make exceptions to the process.
The selection process will be made based on the following:
- technical competency
- leadership skills
- soft skills
- ability to advance to the ISU level of officiating
- organizational needs of Skate Canada
Each year Skate Canada will circulate a survey to Canadian level officials seeking their input on their officiating goals and objectives to allow officials to express interest in their goals. Any questions regarding the process or selections should be directed to the Skate Canada High Performance Manager, Laura Baker, at firstname.lastname@example.org.