We have received feedback regarding the STAR 6 – Gold training and structure. As a result, some changes have been made to address the concerns.
The following changes are EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY:
- STAR 9, 10 and Gold Dance will require 2 of 3 dances for completion. Skaters may choose which dances to complete at those levels.
- The Artistic attire requirement has been revised. Simple attire is recommended leaving the decision on attire to the skater. The attire and colour worn will not affect the outcome of the Artistic assessment.
- The Coach Assessor pathway will no longer include a mandatory Mentored Assessment. The revised pathway will require the following:
- Must be Regional Coach Certified
- Must have completed the STAR 1 – 5 Coach Assessor Training
- Must have completed the STAR 6 – Gold Introduction and STAR 6 – Gold Skills training and exam
- Must apply/inform/follow the process established by the Section to be recognized as a Coach Assessor for Skills.
It should be noted that the above constitutes the minimum requirement acceptable. Skate Canada highly recommends the mentoring process and encourages each Section to impose additional mentoring requirements should the Section deem it appropriate to do so.
- STAR 6 – Gold Coach Assessors may assess any skater in the Skills discipline. For clarity, Coach Assessors are NOT restricted to assessing only those skaters they coach.
Each Section is permitted to further restrict this practice in the event the Section deems it appropriate.
The following is EFFECTIVE AS OF JULY 1, 2020:
- Gold Skills will have a new element added: Skills Exercise Challenge
- The skater will perform a skill exercise that is drawn from all the exercises contained in STAR 6 – Gold.
The following changes are IN PROGRESS and will be implemented as the material becomes available:
- The exam from the STAR 6 – Gold Introduction Training will be removed.
- The training for STAR 6 – Gold disciplines will be shortened and exam questions reviewed. Anyone who has completed the training already will not be required to complete the process again. Revisiting the Introduction Training is advised to become familiar with new terms and a simpler format.
- The STAR 6 – Gold resource documents will be revised to reflect changes made based on feedback received.
- The STAR 6 – Gold Assessment sheets will be revised to reflect changes made based on feedback received.
- An additional qualification and training will be implemented for evaluators who wish to be qualified in Ice Dance at a STAR 6, 7 and 8 level only. Evaluators who complete the STAR 6 – 8 training and wish to achieve Gold level will have to do the full STAR 6 – Gold training as their next step. Anyone who has completed the training and exam already will not be required to complete the process again.
We thank you for your patience during this time of transition.