For the upcoming 2018-2019 registration season:
According to the Professional Coach Membership Policy, to be a Registered Skate Canada Professional Coach in Good Standing, the following is required:
- Respect in Sport – Activity Leader Training (NEW – starting 2018-2019 registration)
- Must hold a valid first aid certificate
- Screening must be done through the company approved by Skate Canada and must show a status of “Clear”
- Must hold a NCCP status of CanSkate In-training or higher or must be a CanPowerSkate Coach
- NCCP certified coaches only are responsible for maintaining their certification in the Locker through professional development as per the Coaching Association of Canada’s Maintenance of Certification Policy.
- Have agreed to Skate Canada’s Code of Ethics
The Respect in Sport training is currently provided to coaches free of charge and will earn you 3 professional development points in your Locker.
Coaches are huge influences on the lives of our children. Depending on a child’s home life, a coach may be the only trusted adult in the life of a child. That weekly trip to the arena may be the only refuge a child has from a traumatic home life, and the coach may be the difference in the life of a child in terms of recognizing that the child is in distress and needs help. Providing coaches with education on these critical issues will make them a better coach, better person, and will assist them in recognizing when a child may be at risk. It will also help a coach to be prepared in the event of a disclosure from a child. These are difficult issues, and Respect in Sport training helps coaches by providing them with important knowledge and tools.
With over 500,000 coaches currently certified in Respect in Sport across a wide-range of sports in Canada, Skate Canada has taken a greater stand on putting the safety and well-being of our athletes first. Respect in Sport is designed to provide good people with practical tools to be better leaders.
If you have any questions about this update, please contact [email protected].
Don’t wait, complete the RIS – Activity Leader Training today!